ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE | GREAT BASIN INSTITUTE
DESIRED MAJORS: Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.
The Great Basin Institute is an interdisciplinary field studies organization that promotes environmental research, education, and conservation throughout the West. Founded in 1998 at the University of Nevada, the Institute’s mission is to advance applied research and ecological literacy through community engagement and agency partnerships to support national parks, forests, open spaces and public lands.
In cooperation with the National Park Service’s Lake Mead National Recreation Area (NRA), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting a Research Associate (RA) to serve as Engineering Associate. The Associate will support infrastructure projects at Lake Mead NRA and will come to understand the mission of the National Parks Service (NPS) and the role that engineers play in maintaining NPS infrastructure.
The Engineering Associate will work with National Park Service engineers and scientists on ongoing design, research and or testing, and will be matched with the most appropriate mentor and project depending on interest areas and education. The RA will support Lake Mead in addressing its deferred maintenance backlog. Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Development and rehabilitation of water supply, treatment, and distribution systems, wastewater collection and treatment systems, and roads and trails.
- Research to improve infrastructure durability
- Research on water quality, water resources planning, environmental or ecosystems issues.
- The ideal candidate will be enrolled in or graduate of an undergraduate or graduate program in engineering or related physical science field
- Possess the ability to work both within a team setting, but also independently, and effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Show maturity, responsibility and adaptability with a demonstrable willingness to learn
- Be self-motivated with ability to maintain a positive attitude
- Possess a valid, clean, state-issued driver’s license
- Prior experience work on or exposure to projects related to water delivery and reclamation and on/or wastewater disposal
- Understanding / appreciation for water policy issues facing western communities
CLICK HERE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Engineering Associate – Great Basin Institute (ELE)
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should apply online.